Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free
Let’s be real. No pizza crust “alternative” is going to compare to the charred, gluten filled crunchy yet soft masterpiece that is pizza crust. That being said, this is a very good alternative for those trying to eat better or with dietary restrictions. This is a gluten and grain free recipe. Most “gluten free” crusts you buy are loaded with garbage fillers, and a lot of soy. We avoid soy because it is almost all genetically modified.
I’ve tried a few cauliflower crust recipes and nothing turns out as well as this. I also like that it is egg free, because the grain/dairy free diet is high in eggs. Eating too much of one food, no matter what it is, can be hard on your digestive system.
My daughter and I share our anchovy pizza on PJ party night here at our house. That’s right, I said anchovy! We love them! We eat them right out of the jar….. Judge away! You can top this crust with whatever you like.
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups Almond Meal
- 3 tbsp Potato Starch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 6 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Tsp leaf Basil (dried)
- 1 Tsp Oregano (dried)
- ¼ Tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Whisk together the water and oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients; stirring to blend. The spices are optional but add a nice flavour.
- Add the wet ingredients stirring to form a thick dough.
- Take two sheets of parchment and roll the dough between them into a thin circle or square to fit a pizza pan or baking sheet. This crust will rise a little because of the baking powder, so roll it thinner.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes until golden and crisp around the edges.
Allow to cool about 20 minutes to form a crunchy crust.
- Top with toppings and place back in the oven or broiler for a few minutes to cook the toppings. Makes 8 slices.